Moving with pets across state lines is overwhelming even for those who have relocated several times in their life. When you are moving from New York, finding affordable movers NYC is the key solution for a successful and stress-free move, but, in this case, it is just the tip of an iceberg. To all those common relocation-related issues now you need to add and solve a whole bunch of new pet-related problems. Luckily, we can provide you with detailed information on how to prepare for this challenge. Pay close attention to our useful tips for moving with your pets across state lines.
How to prepare for moving with pets across state lines
If you have had to prepare your pet for a move to New York, you can imagine the amount of work you need to perform when moving with pets across state lines. The necessary preparations include:
- Checking the information on breed bans in your destination country
- Providing compulsory documents for moving with your pets across state lines
- Providing the right travel crates for your pets
- Packing the items your pets will need during the travel
Checking the information on breed bans in your destination country
People keep various pets and get emotionally attached to them. Parting with their pets becomes something they can’t imagine. This explains why it is crucial to check the information on breed bans in your destination country. Otherwise, you risk paying a high fine or even something more serious.
Providing compulsory documents for moving with your pets across state lines
When you have found the best moving and storage NYC solution for your move, the time has come to deal with some paperwork. The required documents you need to provide will differ greatly from country to country. Also, they will depend on the type of your pet as well. The aim of this measure is to make sure that only healthy animals cross the state lines.
Here is a list of the most often required documents when moving with pets across state lines:
- The record on vaccines your pets have had so far – Whether your pet has had a rabies vaccine is particularly important and controlled. If your pet hasn’t had the vaccine yet, it is compulsory at this point. Conversely, you need to prove that the vaccine has been given in the appropriate timeframe concerning your move.
- The International Health Certificate – This is the document you need to be able to leave the US with your pets. In addition to this, your destination country may require some more papers you need to provide. The US Department of Agriculture issues these certificates. Firstly, you need to take your pets to an accredited veterinarian who fills out the certificate if your animals are healthy. Then, one of the USDA’s veterinary service area offices endorses the certificate.
- The printed health records – These are not compulsory but they are recommended in case of any unexpected issues.
- Microchipping and ID tags – Whether moving with your pets across state lines or not, this is highly advisable. If your pet ever gets lost or stolen, you will always be able to reach it.
- A photograph of your pet – Who knows what might happen? Never leave anything to chance.
Providing the right travel crates for your pets
When traveling to your new address, you need to restrain your pets in the vehicle for safety reasons. Furthermore, you will be able to concentrate on what is happening on the road better. The best solution is to use a crate of the appropriate size. Besides, you will have to make your pets get used to it, so start well in advance. According to the Humane Society of the United States, you should begin with crate training at least a month before your move.
Packing of the items your pets will need during the travel
The way you prepare an essentials box for you, prepare the same box for your pets. It should contain food, a lot of water, medications if necessary, their favorite toys and blankets. Always bear in mind that some unplanned circumstances might come up, so bring more food or water than you really need. Also, it isn’t advisable to change their type of food at this point. This could cause some stomach problems which could seriously affect the difficulty level of your travel.
How to survive the trip to your destination country when moving with pets across state lines?
This isn’t as difficult as it might seem at first. All you need to do is adjust the travel to your pets’ usual routine as much as you can. Make frequent breaks, provide enough air and space, and give them their favorite toys. If your pets hate rides, you will have to come up with a favorable solution. Your vet can help you with this issue if you ask for advice. It would be best not to travel in extreme weather conditions – either hot or cold. The good thing is that if you’re moving from New York, you can find reliable and affordable movers NYC that can meet your needs in terms of timing. For example, if you are moving with pets across state lines this might be a valid reason find professionals and move before winter comes.
Flying with a pet to your destination country
This may be a more comfortable and yet less expensive way to reach your destination country with your pets. Unfortunately, it means more paperwork, more preparations, searching for information on regulations and requirements. However, a lot of pet-friendly airlines can help you overcome this difficulty with ease. In just a couple of hours, both you and your pet will be at your new home. If you are lucky enough, you will soon experience the advantages of having a home with a backyard instead of being surrounded by the hustle and bustle of New York.
Adjusting to life in a new country
Moving with pets across state lines doesn’t end the moment you enter your new home. As is the case with people, your pets will need some time to get used to the new environment. Keeping the usual routine is the best you can do to reduce the stress level they will probably feel. Be supportive and explore both the new home and the new country together.