Moving can be a very difficult experience – whether you’re moving in Staten Island, or elsewhere in NYC. Moving is disruptive, expensive, and time-consuming – so the last thing you want to worry about is whether or not your stuff is safe during your move.
And this is a legitimate concern – moving is a time of disruption, and you’re probably less aware of the security and safety of your valuables. You may leave your door unlocked, you may forget to lock your van. You may hire a moving company that’s not legitimate – there are many risks to take into account.
So in this post, we’ll discuss some simple tips to help you keep your stuff safe while you move in Staten Island.
1. Never Leave Your Stuff Unattended
This is the most basic step on our list – but it should not be overlooked. Often, the stress of moving can impair judgment. You would probably never leave a flat-screen TV unattended on the street in Staten Island on a normal day – but if you’re moving, and you’re distracted by what’s going on in your apartment, you might forget to secure your valuables, and you may leave them unattended.
If you do, you can bet that somebody’s going to take advantage – and your stuff is at risk of being stolen. If you’re doing a DIY move, you should always have at least one person stationed by your valuables at all times, whether they’re in your apartment, or being loaded into a truck or van. Doing so will minimize the chances that opportunistic thieves may have to grab your stuff.
2. Hire A Legitimate Moving Company
Most moving companies are totally legit – but there are some moving companies who may “lose” your stuff. You want to avoid this, and you can do so with the following steps.
- Read online reviews of your chosen company – Are there a lot of negative reviews? Are people mentioning lost or stolen property? That could be a sign that you should avoid this company.
- Ask to meet in-person – If you’re thinking about moving with a company, ask to meet someone from the team in person. This gives you a great opportunity to see how they do business, and verify that they’re legitimate.
- Ask for paperwork – You should verify that your chosen company is licensed and insured, and that their contracts have specific legal actions that you can take in case of the theft, loss, or damage of an item.
These 3 simple steps will eliminate almost every shady moving company out there – and help you choose a legitimate, above-board company for your moving needs.
3. Leaving It Alone? Lock It Up!
Your van, truck, or car has locks for a reason – use them. The same goes for your apartment. When you’re not there, lock it.
It may be inconvenient to constantly lock and unlock doors and windows, but doing so is the only way to prevent a thief from simply walking into your unlocked apartment, or stealing something from your rental.
4. Hide Your Valuables During Your Move
You should never leave valuable items in plain sight while moving. Items like laptops, jewelry, and even prescription medication should be placed in unobtrusive boxes, and covered by blankets or sheets, if possible.
If you hide your valuable items, thieves are less likely to be interested in what you’re moving, which can dramatically reduce your risk of theft.
5. Minimize The Total Time You Spend Moving
The longer it takes you to move, the more opportunities there will be for thieves to take your stuff – it’s just that simple. The best way to avoid this is by minimizing the total time you spend moving. Here are a few easy ways to do so:
- Move some stuff in advance – If you can move clothes, small items, and valuables to your new apartment before your lease begins, you should do so. You can simply take public transport or hire a cab with a few suitcases, and unload them at your new place. This will reduce the amount of stuff you have to move all at once, and ensure the safety of your most valuable items.
- Get help if you’re doing a DIY move – Got favors to call in with friends and family? Good! Many hands make light work, and if you have a few people to help you move, you can reduce your total time spent moving by quite a bit. Consider bribing friends and family with beer, pizza, and wine after the move – they may be more likely to help out, if you do!
- Take only one trip – If you pack wisely and rent the right-size truck or van, you should be able to get all of your stuff moved in one trip. This is ideal – you don’t want to leave anything behind, or have to spend a bunch of time unloading and reloading your rental.
- Hire professionals – Hiring professional local moving services is expensive – but it’s the best way to minimize the time you spend moving. Local movers will be able to quickly and expertly move your stuff, and full-service companies can even pack it for you. If you’re truly concerned about theft, this is the best way to minimize the time you have to spend moving.
6. Keep An Eye On Important Papers, And Avoid Identity Theft
You shouldn’t just be worried about your physical stuff – moving is the perfect time for identity thieves to get their hands on your personal information. When you’re moving, you throw a lot of stuff away. Bills, bank statements, credit card notices, old tax documents – much of this waste has valuable personal information such as account numbers, Social Security numbers, and more.
If you throw away these sorts of items during your move, you should shred them – it’s the only way to be sure that you’re protected. You should also file a change of address ASAP with the USPS, to minimize the loss of important mail. You’ll also need to file a change of address with the IRS.
Worried About Theft During Your Move?
Hire Big Apple Moving – The #1 Staten Island Moving Services Provider!
Big Apple Moving has been in business since 1979 – and we’ve earned our reputation as the most reliable, professional, and experienced moving company in Staten Island. So if you’re interested in local moving services, but are worried about theft, worry no more.
Each one of our movers is pre-screened and background checked, and we’re fully insured. We also offer you 24/7 online tracking of your stuff – so you can be sure that it’s being delivered to the right place, on time, with no delays.
So don’t risk your stuff with any other moving company. Hire Big Apple Moving today, and minimize your risk of theft – and your stress – during your next move on Staten Island.