When you think about it, a move couldn’t be possible without the right moving boxes. However, a small number of people actually think about them as an issue, until it comes to packing itself. The things you pack inside your boxes are valuable and important for you, so you need to be careful when choosing the right moving boxes and way to pack things inside them. The system is easy. All you need to do is find the appropriate boxes, pack items carefully and then store boxes the right way. Other, safer way is to hire movers in Manhattan that can help you. How to find and pack right moving boxes, check our tips and tricks.
Moving boxes – what are your options?
There are different types of boxes used for moving in professional packing services, which you can also use if you plan to rent a storage unit in Brooklyn, and here are the most common ones you can choose from:
- small, 1.5 cubic foot box – this size and type is probably the most common one. Even though it can carry up to 60 pounds, be careful not to overpack them. It is advised that each box weights maximum 50 pounds, so it is safer and easier to move around. Since it is very common, people use this type of boxes for books, kitchenware, lamps, etc.
- medium, 3 or 4.5 cubic moving boxes are bigger, so you can use them for electronics, and larger kitchen appliances, but also clothes, and bigger lamps, since they can carry up to 65-70 pounds
- large, 6-6.1 cubic moving boxes are quite big, and they can carry a lot. Again, be careful not to over pack them and make them too heavy to move. You can safely store blankets, pillows, toys, etc.
- Hanging clothes box – perfect for clothes you can pack regularly, but you need to hang them. They exist in different sizes, so you can choose the one best for you. Perfect for coats and suits, they include a metal bar so you can hang those items. These are a bit more expensive, so it would be best if you could pack your clothes flat. A great tip is to use this to hang delicate lamps, chandeliers, etc.
- Laydown wardrobe box is perfect for packing clothes flat, just like in a drawer. The downside is that they are not very strong, so don’t overpack them.
- Mattress boxes – these days it has become increasingly important to have a good-quality mattress and sleep well. Therefore, when they are moving, people pay a lot of attention on packing their compy, and usually a quite expensive mattress. That’s why stores offer boxes made just for this purpose.
How to find right moving boxes?
There are two ways to find right moving boxes – for free and to purchase them. Either way, you need to think about their purpose and strength. It is great to find boxes for free, but for your more valuable items, it is smart to invest in good-quality moving boxes in New York.
To find right moving boxes for free you can try:
- Supermarkets and Drink Stores – here, new boxes come every day with their deliveries. Usually, these boxes are quite solid and durable since they mostly carry items like drink bottles and other heavy items. You can easily use these boxes to store your dishes and glasses, for example. You can also check your local Starbucks or McDonalds.
- Your office – if you work in a big company, it is very probable that they get office supplies in card boxes. These usually deliver printing paper, electronics, and other office supplies. Ask a manager or anybody in charge to save you the boxes, since they are probably thinking about the way to get rid of these.
- Craigslist – on this advertisement website, there is a section for free stuff. You can check here if somebody offers some boxes for free. There are always people offering different size boxes, leftovers from their own move.
- Family, friends, co-workers – there is probably somebody from your environment who recently moved. Or somebody who bought a computer, a tv, or a fridge. It never hurts to ask around and check if anybody of your friends or family saved some of the boxes you can use for moving.
- Be eco-friendly – there are companies that encourage people to be more ‘green’. They offer you to rent or lend plastic, re-usable boxes and then pick them up when you are done.
How and where to purchase moving boxes?
There are items that need more specific or stronger boxes than the ones you have found for free. Or simply, you don’t have enough of boxes, so you need to buy some. For your valuables, investing in safe and strong boxes really pays off in the end. This way, you will avoid possible damage or loss. You can buy moving boxes here:
- Lowes – a famous home improvement and appliance store which also offers some additional supplies, like moving boxes.
- Amazon – you probably shop at Amazon online store regularly, but you’ve never thought of finding right moving boxes there. Here you can find all types of boxes we mentioned above.
- Home Depot – if you need just a couple of boxes, this store is great. They offer different types of boxes, even wardrobe boxes.
Other moving supplies and packing tips
Having a box is just not enough to protect your valuables, so here are the other things you can do:
- pack similar things together, especially smaller items. It will be easier to unpack that way.
- protect your items – breakables like glasses, dishes, electronics need to be packed carefully. Use some bubble wrap, clothes or paper to wrap them before putting them in a box. Use cardboard dividers to separate glasses and cups.
- don’t over pack – don’t fill your boxes too much – they can become too heavy and accidentally open if you do so.
- label each box – after you pack and seal the boxes, use a sharpie to mark each box and write what’s inside. Trust us, you will be thankful for this tip when you unpack.
- put heavy boxes at the bottom – stack your boxes in a truck or car correctly. Put heavy ones first, and light ones with breakables and valuables on the top.