So you’ve decided to make a serious change of scenery from the Atlantic to the Pacific coast. Or will it perhaps be another side of the “pond” to the European shoreline? Well, it matters not since it all comes down to the same – coast to coast relocation starting from NYC. The only thing is that this type of moving is far more complex and challenging than your everyday relocation. Which is why we are here to guide you through everything you need to consider while planning your relocation. Continue reading “Coast to coast relocation – what you need to know”
Have you come to the point where every day at work is a torture? You no longer know the people you’re working with and everything annoys you. Well, that would be far from an ideal work environment. So why not do something about it? Why not find a new job that you will enjoy for a change? And what better place to do that than NYC – the very core of capitalism. And in case you are required to do job relocation in NYC or to it from your current residence, it’s important to know how to approach that task.
Tips on how to handle job relocation in New York City
In today’s competitive world, and especially when talking about the big cities, moving away for a job is not that unusual. It is actually one of the main reasons why people move to begin with. You have a planned career schedule you need to follow. And that next step in life would be going to a different city or state for work. Climbing that professional development ladder is one of the benefits of job relocation in NYC. Moving for a new job opportunity has its pros and cons. There are a number of questions you should ask yourself before deciding on relocating. This guide should help you decide if relocating for a job is worth it.
Expenses of job relocation in NYC
The Big Apple moving cost of your job relocation, no matter in NYC or to NYC, is no simple matter. Asking for your relocation expenses to be covered is always advisable. This goes especially if your current employer is asking you to relocate to a different place. And if your employer is the one moving you to a new location, then it is compulsory that at least a part of your moving expenses be covered by the company. If it isn’t, check you contract and re-negotiate the terms and conditions of the job relocation.
But if you are moving because you are changing jobs from one company to another, the rules are different. When moving for work, the relocation costs will often fall on you. This goes even if you are moving to another city for the job in question. This means that before relocating for a job you have to do two things:
- Plan a budget for your moving and prepare for the possibility that your expenses may not be reimbursed. Make sure that you can pay for your moving as many employers are unwilling to cover moving expenses. This goes double for potential employees coming in from a different state or city. This is a situation that is taking place due to the hard economic conditions in last years.
- Look for cheaper movers. Be prepared if it does turn out that your new company will not cover the job relocation expenses. This means looking to save costs wherever possible. And securing the services of a professional moving company at lower costs is one of them.
NYC job relocation as a wild card
What are the chances that you will find a job in New York? The main factor would be the job market in the area. Given that the Big Apple is quite the competitive market – the employer might not look for personnel from another city. You need to bear this in mind if there are jobs available for your skills. In this case, you shouldn’t move without securing a job – get one first to secure your incomes for your new life in New York. If you have your mind set on working in the capital of the world, you need to make sure that you have something unique to offer.
Tax deduction for job relocation
Is moving for work tax deductible? Yes, it is. And you have the right to ask for a tax write off when you are moving for a job. There are two main requirements to fulfill according to the IRS:
- Firstly, you need to be relocating on a distance larger than 50 miles away from your current location, and
- Secondly, you need to work at least 39 weeks in the first 12 months after you have moved.
When it comes to forms that need to be filled out, you can find everything you need here. And if have the time and interest in learning more about tax deductions, there are plenty of sources.
Job relocation to-do-list
As you are deciding on moving to a new job, you should make your job relocation to-do-list. Because if there is something we’ve learned up until now, it’s that proper organization leads to care-free relocation. So let’s continue in that manner, okay?
1. Composing an inventory
Before doing all else, you need to plan out your move. And the very first step is making an inventory spreadsheet. Movers you plan on hiring will base their estimate on your inventory sheet.
2. Giving notice of job relocation
Next step would be changing your address – there are a number of institutions and the people around you that need to be notified for your relocation. If you own the business, think about your customers and the people that you work with. They should also be included, otherwise, you risk on losing them to hungry competitors.
3. Hiring a proper and reliable moving company
You can get great help from NYC movers when relocating for a new job. Hiring one saves a lot of time and money for you and can make your job relocation in NYC a whole lot smoother. Since you’ve already made your mind in NYC, you need to find a local moving company in New York. Do a background check before deciding which NYC mover is the appropriate one to move you to your new home. Reviews can tell a lot about a company’s ways, so don’t ignore them. Don’t forget to check on the licenses of your movers. All these details may look small or insignificant, but they can end up saving you from frauds and scams while saving you money.
Hiring an ideal moving company is the second most important thing to do after securing a new job in the Big Apple. Let the professional worry about your relocation while you focus on what’s really important – your career and a new job.
Before committing to packing for moving NYC, you need to do a proper preparation. And what better way to prepare than by doing some thorough spring cleaning? A majority of people will tell you that autumn and spring are the ideal seasons for moving – and we absolutely agree with them. But there is just something about spring that makes you want that new beginning even more. And cleaning your home to perfection for a better selling or renting price is simply a must.
Now, don’t go thinking that this is a simple task – it is a demanding project. We suggest you follow some of our suggestion for moving. You’ll be able to make your home clean and shiny from top to bottom.
First step: de-cluttering before packing for moving.
Go through your belongings and clear out extras by de-cluttering. All unusable belongings should be tossed away to lighten your packing for moving burden. In case you are emotionally attached to certain treasured yet useless items, consider renting an affordable storage unit nearby. This will help keep them safe and sound until you can find a suitable place or use for them. Items that are simply taking up space and not worth saving you should dispose of by:
- Garage sale
Consider replacing some old possessions when packing for moving to another place. Sometimes it is much cheaper to buy new furniture and appliances when the time comes than to relocate the old ones.
Second step: packing for moving involves making a cleaning plan.
Once your home has been liberated from clutter, it will be much easier to plan out the cleaning process. In order to keep track of everything you need to do, we advise creating a to-do list. Once you have this prepared, plan out your spring cleaning well ahead of time so as to reduce any unwanted moving stress. Also, bare in mind that there are always reliable moving companies in NYC who can assist you with the packing for NYC move.
Third step: delegate cleaning tasks to others.
Get your family and friends involved in this spring cleaning project. This will not only speed up the entire process but will also work as a stress reducer.
How to start packing for moving to NYC
Packing moving can be tiresome work, but the key component for conducting a proper move is to ensure that all your belongings are secured and grouped together. There are different methods to use when packing various items, and there are tips and trick to further help with that. By finding a way to pack your items in the most efficient way, you can ensure that your move goes smoothly and without any damage. No matter if we’re talking about moving to an apartment or even moving items to a storage unit in NYC, you always need to know which items to pack together.
The importance of inventory
By keeping an inventory of the items and parts of those items you are packing, either you or Big Apple Movers will be able to pack it all up easy and organized. This is very important for the unpacking process, as you won’t need to search through five boxes to assemble a coffee table. Extension cords, screws or any loose parts for appliances and furniture should be packed in the same box, using moving tape and a seal-able plastic bag or envelopes. In addition to that, make sure that you have the necessary tools for reassembly available.
Make sure to label the boxes
Bear in mind that unpacking will go much faster if you have everything labeled out and organized in accordance to rooms. This will help the movers distribute the boxes during unloading, and it will also help you with distributing everything properly instead of piling everything up in one room. This does not mean that you should go and pack items from one side of the room to the other. Instead, here are some sensible guidelines to pack your boxes by keeping items together:
- Pack pairs or sets together– find an appropriately sized box that can hold a complete set of belongings.
- You can also pack items by weight– given the fact that you will have both lightweight and heavyweight boxes, make sure to keep an eye while loading the moving truck to distribute the boxes properly. Our rule of thumb: keep your heaviest boxes under 50 pounds.
- Personal items and essentials should be packed together– this would be your new home starter box. These would be things you’ll need during the first few days in your new home. Basically, wardrobe, toiletries, electronics – anything you can’t live without. And these boxes should be loaded last or packed with you, so you don’t lose track of them.
Some additional creative ways to pack for you moving to NYC.
You can pack by ‘’theme’’ – Larger rooms usually require a bit more consideration. Room-to-room packing will keep you organized and make your move much more simple. Sort out what you’re packing and create categories as you go along.
Packing by the degree of “fragile” – these would be dishware, glasses, decorative bowls, vases etc. Use as many boxes as you need to create easy-to-lift loads. When it comes to safe packaging, you can use crumpled newspaper, bubble wrap or corrugated cardboard. Each of these materials will help safeguard and prevent breakage and any other type of damage. Pack bottles and medications together and keep them separate from other belongings. This will help prevent accidental spills or loss of any medications. Tools, painting equipment and cleaning chemicals should all be packed together in clearly marked boxes.
Personalizing moving boxes – which can make the move easier and keep individual family members’ items together. The easiest way would be using colored boxes (one color for each member). Everyone has different needs and priorities, so the items they decide to pack will vary. The important thing is to sit them down and provide packing instructions so as to avoid complications. Once you move, every family member will be very glad that everything is contained together in their own moving boxes. *Note that these tips can also be applied towards packing for storage.
Moving companies offer a huge variety of discounts: for the military, veterans, senior citizens, students, and on various occasions: for long distance moves, off peak season and with coupons. So there is a variety of affordable moving companies NYC can offer and with whom you can negotiate terms of moving professionals hire.
What to look for when searching for affordable moving companies NYC
Moving as an activity brings a lots of burden and baggage. And the one thing you need to always think of is your budget. Although there are plenty of ways to save money when moving – from getting second-hand moving boxes to hiring an NYC mover to do all the work. These would be cases where you have the upper employer hand, and you have the opportunity to even ask for more! In case you’re clueless as to how to go about doing this, how about following some of the experienced advice below.
Reading reviews can save you money
Reading up on reviews can save you a lot of money when searching for a moving company. Here at Big Apple Movers not only will you find a long list of high-quality NYC movers, but also their reviews from clients who have used them. And it is exactly from this type of experience that you can learn how different NYC movers work and decide for yourself which one to hire.
Affordable moving companies NYC offering military discounts
Risking your life for your country is one of the most honorable acts known, and everyone appreciates this. Moving companies are no exclusion to this. Military discount is the least they can do considering the sacrifice one makes for his family and country. These would be your type of movers that offer the maximum level or service and punctuality. Transporting anything from back home to the nightmare of a military base is ludicrous.
Affordable moving companies NYC that provide discounts for veterans
There are moving companies out there that give discounts to veterans. So this is another opportunity for you to save some money. These are discounts given in percentage of the price that can go to 50% and more on long distance moving. This discount will also reduce the cost of storage and extra insurance of your belongings during moving. Moving companies that offer this discount usually provide a moving expert who will answer all questions related to the moving process. You also receive a lower rate moving cost estimate. You might wonder how you can take advantage of that.
All you need is your DD Form 214 – bring it to the office of the moving company. In case you do not have it, a discount is still an option, but the mover will have to provide you with detailed instructions.
Senior citizens in the eyes of affordable moving companies NYC
Nowadays you can find a senior citizens’ discount about anywhere, and the moving industry is no exception. While some companies will advertise a 10% discount, for example, others will require that you contact them for more information. The purpose of such discounts is again customer satisfaction – moving companies today strive to provide a stress-free move and giving discounts to senior citizens is a great admirable way to do that. The discount may apply to de-cluttering, packing, transportation, unpacking and more – see which senior citizen promotions are active when you decide to move. Look for a mover that has experience with senior citizen communities – you can even call one to find out which moving companies they work with. Such companies are good because they know how to treat customers according to their needs.
Moving companies offer great student moving promotions with coupons. They can still guarantee you that if you ask for a full service you will receive the best. If you are a college student or you will be one, these coupons will cut your expenses by decreasing with a certain percentage the expenses you incur at the final moving labor and transportation services. Such a discount may refer to packing materials as well. When booking your moving with a discount moving company mention the code on your coupon in order to activate it.
Coupons give the opportunity to get moving companies discount with a particular mover with special codes. First, you need to request a coupon online and as you receive it, keep it. It will grant you exclusive discount on a percentage of the rates – it could be for truck and trailer rentals, packing supplies or for the moving labor and the transportation services. In order to get advantage of this opportunity when you contact the mover on the phone state the code on your coupon and that’s it! Just find the moving companies that offer coupons and decide which promotion to get advantage of.
Off-Season Moving Discounts
Usually the summer months are the time when the majority of people move. Weekends, holidays, and the beginning and end of the month are the days when the movers are most busy and thus charge higher. You can avoid that by moving during the week, between the days of the month and off peak season like in winter. These periods receive more discounts than the peak season and weekends. Movers may even charge extra if you ask for a particular day of delivery in summer! Don’t agree to that and negotiate.
How to get discounts from movers?
- Ask the affordable moving companies NYC you contact for a free NYC moving quote if they offer discounts and what type. Some of them may just offer great deals.
- Long distance moves are often discounted so there’s another option.
- When you negotiate the date and time for moving, agree that the movers do the move at their convenience – provided that they offer you a discount.
- Ask for a discount on the packing and moving material from the company you’re hiring.
- Secure part of your money back in case the movers are late on moving day.
- Bulk moves should be made cheaper and appealing after all. If you are moving a large house and/or long-distance, ask for a discount on the moving labor and transportation.
- If you ask for a number of services from a mover ask for a discount on one or more of them.
- In case you are not moving for the first time with a particular mover, ask for a discount as you are already a regular customer. Don’t hesitate to negotiate for lower prices as an established and reliable client.
- When the move is over, if you have missing or broken boxes contact the mover immediately and try to work it out with them. If they refuse to cooperate, explain to them that you can file a complaint against them.
Never enough discounts…
When it comes to moving, there is a variety of options to help you save money. But why stop here when you can make your whole moving even cheaper. Just to point out to you some of them:
- Discounts for students or seniors are also offered by flight companies,
- There are department stores that offer gift cards, give promotions on particular items or decrease prices during a particular time of the day (just check the hours when it applies).
- Some restaurants also offer discount menus for seniors.
More discounts and money saving tips for seniors are available at the American Association of Retired Persons website. If you are a student, for a small price you can get an International Student ID card for discounts here.
Stating that moving is an expensive process would be quite the understatement. Claiming that moving to New York is cheap could be considered the understatement of the year. Which is why it is so important to do your homework and calculate the NYC moving cost before sailing into moving company waters. If you look at estimates from the Census Bureau, more than 36 million Americans relocate each year, and the average person will move nearly 12 times during their lifetime, which is a lot if we’re being honest. And given the financial toll it takes on your budget, you need to cut costs on every corner. Which is why our NYC moving professionals are here to offer you an insight into NYC movers negotiation talks and realization.
NYC movers negotiation 101 tutorial
Getting the best deal on the moving services and saving on professional movers is a significant accomplishment when organizing a household move. Relocating happens to be a very expensive undertaking and negotiating for a better deal and cheaper moving costs may be beneficial for you. There are several criteria that influence the overall cost of your relocation to New York:
- Use of professional movers vs. rental truck vs. friends with pickups
- Moving distance covered
- Need for packing supplies and extra moving services
- Size/weight of the household moved
- season of the year
If you want to put your negotiating skills to the test, you should know that moving companies’ rates are usually not firmly established and that difficult to influence. Besides, you have nothing to lose if you try to lower the price of moving services.
Avoid scams during NYC movers negotiation
Getting a reasonable price is great – but so is making sure that you are getting quality service. That is why you need to consider the New York mover you are looking to hire for your relocation. A good rating is formed by happy and satisfied customers which mean positive reviews. This is why you need to read some reviews first.
Stay away from extremely low moving quotes and suspicious companies. Conduct a background check on every moving company so as to identify their business goals and policy. The unusually low moving estimate should be considered as one of several warning signs of a moving scam.
Cross compare cost estimates before going through NYC movers negotiation
Hiring a top-rated relocation company in New York will help you reduce inevitable stress that comes with moving house. But what if the cost of their services is holding you back from making the right decision?
Yes, moving can be quite the expense, but the good news is that moving rates will vary from mover to mover (especially in a deep pond that is NYC) even when your moving parameters remain the same. And this basically means that before you take a stand in your NYC mover negotiation, understand what you have been offered first.
To work out the best deal for a moving service, start by getting and comparing at least 3 estimates from licensed and accredited professional moving companies. Request in-house estimates from moving experts. This is done to guarantee that the written estimate you receive will be as close to the final bill as possible. Keep in mind that the more estimates you have from movers, the larger your bargaining power is.
Consider additional costs before getting deep into NYC movers negotiation
While you’re getting the moving estimates, address the following pointers to eliminate potential last-minute moving company fees and charges:
- Determine the nature of extra services that you will need from your movers. The majority of those charges for additional services are negotiable. So go through each one with the moving company and see whether you really need to use them. Your mover will be motivated to lower their prices if you give up on any of the offered extra services. After all – less work for them.
- Decide on the task of packing/unpacking – will it come to you or your movers. Best case scenario – a beneficial joint effort where you will pack up all your stuff except large furniture, heavy appliances and specialty items. This will save you money while still ensuring ultimate protection for your most prized possessions.
- Discuss any additional charges that could increase the moving expenses even more. You might not believe the unplanned fees your NYC mover could charge you for. From extra fees for loading/unloading the moving truck to disassembling/re-assembling some of your furniture pieces. Make sure to negotiate these terms with the moving company you choose before the actual moving day.
Time to put your NYC movers negotiation skills to the test
Can you negotiate with moving companies? Absolutely! Once you gathered moving quotes from different reputable New York moving companies, time to take advantage of those same quotes. The goal – to get the best deal possible for yourself. Here are some tactical scenarios to help you understand and negotiate a lower price with your moving company.
Playing the competitor card
Under normal circumstances, the majority of moving companies would rather lower the price they have quoted you than to lose your business to their competitors. Unless you’re right in the middle of the moving season, use this as bargaining leverage.
By this point,you should already have a mover that you’ve got your eye on hiring. If that professional NYC moving company has offered you the best price, then you have little to worry about. If not, contact the company to inform them that you were offered a lower price by their competitors. Give them your lowest bid and ask them if they would be willing to:
- price-match or
- outbid the competitors.
If they are serious about securing you as a customer, they will try to do so.
Going with the fearless “I’ve got nothing to lose attitude”
It never hurts to negotiate with movers simply because you’ve got nothing to lose. The key to a successful NYC movers negotiation is to reach an arrangement that will be beneficial to both parties. You need to be open to certain compromises and flexible about some of the relocation terms (booking early, choosing a good moving date). In that case there won’t be a single reason for the relocation company not to meet you half-way.
Taking the indecisive and insecure stand to reel them in
In case the mover is unwilling to lower its original price, try negotiating again in a day or two. The reason? You may contact another moving representative who may be more willing to accept your terms. Or maybe he might at least offer you a price discount that will be closer to your wishes.
Just remember that even when if cannot get the price down – the quality of the service is more important. Better to pay an average price for quality moving rather than get the lowest possible quote and risk having a disastrous moving experience.
Storage packing is considered both an art and a science of sorts. Making the effort to conduct it right can ensure not only a smooth move but also avoidance of damage and injury. In addition to everything, good packing will help have all your things sorted out and accessible. And most importantly, proper storage packing and organization will keep them preserved and longer lasting – without suffering any damages due to mold, dust etc. So in case you are at a loss as to how to go about doing this, Big Apple Movers are here to help guide you.
Tips and tricks on how to best conduct Big Apple storage packing
To start things off, take a deep breath and relax. When you know that you have a whole lot of stuff that needs to be moved, your first instinct will be simply packing — but don’t. Before you undergo your storage packing process, it would be smart to take a step back and do some planning. Taking inventory of everything you plan to store is a great first step. Simply walk your mind through all the items that you plan on putting into your public storage New York unit for easy access later. If it’s easier, you can put it all down on a piece of paper. Once you’ve done that, you can move on to the storage tips and tricks detailed below.
New York storage packing preparations
Given how frantic life in the big city can be, the organization is a life-saver. So here are some sound steps to follow when preparing items for storage:
- Organize and pack in a systematic and practical manner, so that you can easily locate whichever of them you may need at a given moment. This should also ensure easy access to any items or boxes if done properly.
- Proofing and protection against dust, dirt, moisture and any other eventual harm. Given that we are talking about valuables here, it never hurts to take that extra mile to ensure safety. This especially goes for long-term storage (more on that later).
Achieving this might look bothersome and hard, but it can be quite easy. Not sure? Just follow some simple yet highly effective storage packing tips:
- make sure the items you pack for storage are thoroughly cleaned.
- larger things should be dissembled and packed in single boxes to better protect each individual part and keep everything organized.
- use quality packing materials,
- provide sufficient padding,
- fill the boxes completely and seal them nice and tight.
*In addition to the general rules mentioned above, bear in mind that each and every item has its own specifics you should take into account before preparing it for storage.
How to go about packing boxes for storage
The time has come to start packing for storage. Remember, the goal is to maximize the use of your storage space while at the same time protecting your valuables.
- So why don’t you start by grouping all your frequently-used items together? You will want to pack these items last and keep them together in the front of your storage unit.
- Utilize empty spaces in dresser drawers and appliances. Cleaning the appliances out first goes without saying. Dresser drawers are a great place to store things like linens, bedding, clothing or even books and CDs. Remember to leave that drawer open a little so that air can circulate. Also, put all your garden tools together in empty trash cans.
- Disassemble furniture and appliances. Don’t forget to put a blanket or sheet between surfaces so they do not get scratched or damaged. In case a table can’t be broken down, don’t forget to store items underneath and on top.
By following these self-storage tips you can avoid clutter and maximize space. And once you’ve done this, it comes down to filling out the storage.
Storage packing – how to organize your storage unit
“If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!” Before all else, make a general plan of how you will place the boxes and furniture inside your storage unit:
- Cover the floor of your storage unit with canvas tarp or plastic sheeting to keep moisture away from your belongings.
- Leave some air space between your stored items and the walls of the storage unit to ensure good ventilation.
- Leave a passage through the middle of the stored items for easier access to your belongings.
- Pack heavier boxes nearer to walls and on the bottom.
Remember – the goal is to ensure your possessions will be in perfect condition when you decide to take them out of storage.
Short-term vs. long-term storage packing
Even though the self-storage principle is quite wide-ranged in New York and you can’t really go wrong, there are things to consider. For starters, you need to identify personal goals and objectives – primarily to ensure proper and organized storage packing. Storing stuff for one month and one year are two very different things, not to mention storing for a decade or two. And this goes double in case we are talking about sensitive and potentially expensive belongings. Long-term storage packing is different from short-term storage packing, and knowing the difference before you load everything up can save you time, money, and potentially damaged possessions.
This would be a term used when your items will be kept in a storage unit for less than three months at a time. These would be some basic guidelines to follow when opting for short-term storage packing:
- Dust covers can act as a good replacement for more intensive packing for short-term storage. Given that there isn’t as much time for dirt to settle and moisture to seep in, you may be able to cover large pieces of furniture with a cloth and you’re in the safe zone.
- Leave an aisle in the middle of your storage unit. The fact of the matter is that you’ll be coming and going within a short space of time. So you want to be able to get in and out quickly enough, without moving boxes to find your way through. Pack and arrange items against the wall and use the vertical space, leaving a walk-through clear. This way you’ll have whatever you might need at your disposal.
- Treating fragile items with care. No matter if we’re talking short-term storage or long-term storage; fragile items always need extra care. In fact, they may just need more when it comes to short-term storage. Given they are being moved around more often, it’s important to protect them against breaking or shifting.
A way to go with when you need to keep items safely stored for any length of time beyond three months. So make the most out of long-term storage packing by following these simple guidelines:
- Avoid plastic bags. Even though you might think plastic is effective against water, the truth is quite the opposite. By trapping humidity and moisture, plastic can actually speed up the molding process.
- Acquire sturdy boxes. We know, we know – free stuff is awesome, and why waste money on buying sturdy and single size moving boxes New York City? Well, they will be easier to stack and access for one. And your items will be safer over longer periods of time for two.
- Treating fragile items with care. Not to repeat ourselves, but this is an important step, no matter the type of storage. And the best way of doing this would be with the help of bubble wrap and/or newspaper. Another thing – make sure to mark these boxes and store them separately from the others.
- Seal clothes and fabrics. Vacuum-sealed bags are great for storing wardrobe—and can help protect against damages. If you plan on keeping clothes in storage, investing in these would be the smart way to go.
- Long-term appliance storage. Make sure to always wipe down the interiors well (we advise using baking soda or bleach). Mold on appliances can spread to other items in storage easily, so make sure that everything is wrapped up tight.
- Use storage pallets (which you can often get for free from home improvement stores). Getting boxes and furniture off the ground helps prevent against damages and keeps the air moving.